With hundreds of direct and non-stop flights arriving and departing daily from around the world, Puerto Rico has become the international airport hub of the Caribbean.
Two principal airports offer trips from major cities in the United States, international destinations, and other Caribbean islands.
San Juan Airport
The largest and most accessible one is the Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport, commonly known as the San Juan Airport (SJU). Located in Isla Verde – in the Carolina district – this airport is just minutes away from San Juan. More than 20 commercial airlines fly in and out of the city every day.
Flights to San Juan
- Puerto Rico has 120+ daily nonstop flights to major cities throughout the United States.
- There are nonstop flights available to Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando, Charlotte, Philadelphia, Hartford, Washington D.C., Baltimore, Newark, New York (JFK), Boston, Chicago (ORD), Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Cleveland, Detroit, Minneapolis, Raleigh-Durham, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver and Cancún.
- Frontier, American Airlines, Delta, JetBlue, Southwest, United, Spirit, Avelo Airlines, and Sun Country Airlines fly between Puerto Rico and the USA.
- San Juan is the leading gateway to the Eastern Caribbean. Several airlines operate over 60 daily flights to over 12 destinations in the Caribbean. Airlines that fly to and from San Juan to the Caribbean include Cape Air, Air Antilles, JetBlue, Tradewind Aviation, Silver Airways, Intercaribbean Airways, Frontier, and Air Flamenco.
- To Latin America, there are two flights to Panamá City, Panamá, and daily flights to Bogotá, Colombia.
- To Europe, there are weekly non-stop flights from Madrid, Spain.
- The identity validation system CLEAR is now available at the airport, making travel even more seamless to and from San Juan. It offers expedited access to airport security lines by providing a quick identity verification experience. You only need to step up to a CLEAR pod to verify your identity instead of waiting in line to show your government-issued photo I.D.
Avelo Airlines unveils new route to San Juan
Avelo Airlines reveals exciting new routes to Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport (SJU)! Find daily flights year-round from New Haven, Connecticut, and Wilmington, Delaware, starting on November 15th, with a convenient Wednesday to Saturday schedule.
The other airport with international flights is the Rafael Hernández Airport (BQN) in Aguadilla, in the northwest region of Puerto Rico. Comparably smaller than the SJU, this hangar receives commercial flights from Orlando and other cities from major airlines such as Jet Blue, Frontier Airlines, United Airlines, and private charters. Frontier recently added direct flights from Tampa, Florida, to their roster.
Mercedita International Airport
The Mercedita International Airport (PSE) in Ponce receives a handful of commercial flights from the mainland U.S., mainly to cities like Orlando and New York City, with services from Frontier and JetBlue. Smaller than SJU and BQN, Mercedita is ideal if your time on the Island is mostly in the south region.
If you’re looking to fly to Puerto Rico’s smaller islands, like Culebra and Vieques, and cays or nearby Caribbean destinations, the Fernando Luis Ribas Dominicci Airport is a better option than the two major airports. Also known as Aeropuerto de Isla Grande, this single-runway airport offers daily flights through three local airlines and private charters.